Sunday, 5 October 2014

Follow

New to Blogging? How do you get more connected to the Community?!

This is a question exclamation post. What does that mean? Well, it's kind of my way to trying to learn more about you guys (the readers) while giving a little bit of my own input at the same time.

So if you're reading this, you can probably tell that this is a baby blog. I mean it's just starting up, and I don't have a large following. But at the same time, who really cares right? I honestly am that person who just has to rave about a product to every single person I know when I find something that is good. I love to share. The 'share article' feature has got to be one of the best features out there for someone like me. When I learn something that's pretty cool (Did you know Classico Spaghetti Sauce Jars are Mason jars? They don't just look like them- 'Mason' is actually embossed/engraved into the jar, it's legit!) I just feel the need to tell the world and where is there a better place than here (and that is the long-story short version of why this blog exists).

Of course it's a little bit disheartening knowing that very few people actually read what I say. I mean it is partially my fault as I haven't made this public on my Facebook or anything, and I don't share this to the people I actually know. But anyways, like every other blogger out there, I am trying wedge myself into the community and trying to discover new blogs on a daily basis.

So what I found has worked really well to discover other small up and coming blogs, is clicking on the 'click-through' links found on blog comments! Most people will leave a comment with their blog in their signature, and it's even nicer when the link itself is a URL that automatically brings you to the page. It helps when you already have a handful of blogs that you read, but honestly it's like the '6 degrees of separation effects' every blog has comments leading to another blog. It's great!

Lets be real small blogs are more personal, when there are thousands of readers sometimes it is easy for your comment to be overlooked. Bloggers will probably value your input even more if you're one of the few comments on there. Incorporating some of my beginner Economics.. It's the effect of Marginal Benefit - the first few comments (maybe first few hundred) all bring us great joy, but as it reaches a couple thousand every additional comment may make less of an impact.

Anyways another thing I realized today is that Pinterest is probably another phenomenal way of meeting new bloggers! Pinterest and blogging share such a great overlap, they are essentially the 'connector' or the pathway the brings together people with similar interests. Or even better, it's a selective 'Google'! I would say half the images will redirect you to a blog, and from here you can continue diving into more comments or 'guest posts'. The possibilities honestly seem endless. I've always been a fan of Pinterest for my own self interest (I mean, it makes organizing links and bookmarking soo much easier) but now I'm realizing how much of a tool it is as well.


Sorry for the run on post, it's your turn now! What do you do to discover new blogs and to get involved in the blogosphere? 


7 comments:

  1. Great post! I started my blog a couple of years ago, but I don't have lots of readers. Since a few moths ago it was more personal and about no one in my real life knew about it. Now my boyfriend knows and he supports me a lot (he also helped me with the graphic!), and I had the courage to tell my best friends. Their reaction wasn't really what I expected, they got really mad at first because I didn't tell them and they felt "betrayed". I don't think they read it, but since then I started to be less shy about my blog. I still don't publish my post on my personal facebook wall, but if someone overhears that I have a blog and ask me about it, I don't deny it :)
    As for a tool, I love using Bloglovin to find new blogs. It's also a great platform to read the new post of the blogs you already follow and don't miss any of them (I do follow you as well now).

    INDIELLIE | life style & photography blog
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I only started using Bloglovin frequently this year and it definitely helps. I like how it also tells you how large of a following other blogs have, it just seems to help me gauge how established of a blog it is and how large its presence is. I will definitely be following you too!

      P.S. I always assume maybe one day if I make this into a more permanent activity and I develop an audience that perhaps I will share it with friends and family.

      Delete
  2. I also go thru comment section and discover new blogs, that is the way I discovered your blog too :D¨!!!
    I'm not such fan of Pinterest, don't know why.. I have a Bloglovin' account, and then go thru blogs that interest me, and then click Follow, in most cases they follow you back, so that is also the way to increase your readers... Also haven't told my friends about my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm so glad! I feel like that's one of the things you just realize on your own because no one mentions this as a tip to 'new bloggers'. I feel like it's really difficult to establish Pinterest unless you already have an established blog (and of course having eye-catching graphics seems to be required)

      Delete
  3. Nice post! I'm a new blogger. I do it because I also love sharing what awesome stuff I come across :)

    BeautyConclusions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your blog (: that is great and pretty much the foundation of a lot of blogs like this or the beauty blogs I love to follow!

      Delete
    2. Thanks!! You've got a new follower!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...