Wednesday, 16 July 2014

TeaTox - Pre

So if you haven't noticed lately, "TeaToxing" has become the newest trend that's taken over Social Media by storm. In all honestly, it sounds a lot like a scam. But nonetheless, I'll admit - I'm inclined to try it.

The brand that I've been reading up on is called Your Tea. That's the name of their company, and what's used on their website. But what what's printed on their TeaBags and hashtagged on a lot of their social media is "TinyTea".

So what's the deal?
Well basically, they're selling you packages of tea! Sounds the same as DavidsTea and Teavana doesn't it? What their differentiating factor seems to be is this whole 'teatox' business. These are herbal teas which are designed to help you to help clear your system and basically result in a range of benefits: energy, better skin, less bloating, regular bowels, weight loss and more (note these are user proclaimed benefits).

Just like Quest, they have a huge following/fan base. If you look at their Instagram account, the majority of their posts are 'before/ after' shots submitted by users themselves (in addition to some motivational photos/quotes and etc). Users back the photos - these photos aren't altered or stolen. To put it simply, people look good. Their tummy's are smaller, some of them look like they have shed a lot of weight, and they all seem to really love this tea! To be honest it's the number of these photos that really got me curious, could this really work?

At the same time, I know that a lot of these 'fads' are all gimmicks. You would think that with my science background and my interest in health/nutrition that I would know that it's probably not worth it. I mean I even got a reality check when I read up on SlimFitBean's post which tries to expose the reality of it. One of my friends actually Intagram'd a photo a while back, she's smart, level-headed and so of course I asked for her feedback! It was interesting to hear that she did agree with the sentiments of a lot of other reviewers, she felt like she had a lot more energy. Man, energy, I could use some of that. She said that she really did think that it had helped to improve her skin, and although she didn't really lose any weight it really helped to stop her constant snacking.

The tea set comes with some rules to get the most use out of it. You should be drinking it 3 times a day, around half an hour before each meal. From what my friend said it was partly the planning, and timing of each meal that had initially helped her to snack less in addition to simply having less cravings. Unfortunately, what seems to be the case is that the reason people look less bloated is simply because they are losing water weight alone (and not fat). Like SlimFitBean notes, most people who get results are already eating healthy and exercising together with this regimen. The Tea itself is not magical so it still takes work.

My turn:
I think that I will be trying a 14 day set within the week or two. These tea sets are expensive! It's $35 for a 14 day set with 42 tea bags, and $55 for a 28 day set. But just before I do that, I actually want to see how drinking my own tea regularly works for me. Tea is a diuretic, so if anything, if I drink it more regularly and add it into a healthy lifestyle there should probably be similar effects. People have been saying for a while that simply incorporating tea (any kind) into your diet is good for you - I don't drink much throughout the day so staying hydrated will be a plus either way.

I started today with a cup before Breakfast (waiting 20-30 minutes after before I ate) and ended up drinking two more cups at Starbucks when I was studying. On top of a great gym workout with some HIIT, weight training, and some washroom breaks due to the diuretics I had a pretty awesome day and felt great. Despite having a huge breakfast with what felt like two cups of yogurt (and berries and granola), and quite the bloated tummy initially it seemed to slowly disappear as the day passed! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...