Saturday, 19 July 2014

Non Fat Yogurt - Be Careful!


Hey guys,

I just wanted to remind you that you should be super careful when you're doing your groceries and buying yogurt. Society has conditioned us into thinking that 'low fat' or 'no fat' everything is healthier, and better. But it's really not!

What we don't realize is that to makeup for the taste, texture and etc from eliminating the fat, companies end up trying to compensate with sugar - which can be almost worst! What you should realize is that your body does need some fat, so in a lot of cases choosing that 1% or 2% yogurt is actually  better for you. Nevertheless, it's probably still tempting to reach for the 0% and if that's the case you might as well make an informed choice while you're at it.

A lot of companies like Activia, for example, have '0% fat yogurt' yogurt which actually has Aspartame added in it - aka Splenda, yuck!

I wanted to show you a quick example highlighting the difference it can make.

Alright, so its' kind of embarassing how messy everything is behind it but I just get so excited when I think of something that I want to share on here and would just rather take a picture right there and then. I know.. patience is a virtue. I'll try harder next time?

Anyways so as you can see they're both "Organic" No Fat Yogurts. It's funny, the first thing I checked for was if there was any Aspartame. Nope it was fine. I also checked the ingredient to see how much added crap was in it, but it looked pretty good. So naively, I decided that it was probably all good to go and started eating both. Actually I started eating more of the Liberte one, I noiced that the texture was a lot more smooth and silky. It was yummier! I had tried the organic meadow one before, and it wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special either. For a while I was just suprised at how much yummier the Liberte yogurt was. 

Pretty simple, it's a clean list.

Alright so maybe I jumped the gun reading the ingredients, there actually is quite a lot of added stuff.


So if you look closely enough at the 'Sugar' content. Liberte has nearly twenty grams of sugar while there is only nine in Organic Meadow. That's around/just over two times as much for the same sample size! Anyways I was shocked when I realized the difference (it explained how the taste seemed to vary so much).

So the lesson is to look carefuly at the ingredients and Nutrition Table when you're shopping! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...