Friday, 20 June 2014

Fancy Schmancy Oatmeal

That's what it is really isn't it? Overnight oatmeal has taken Pinterest by storm, and in Mason jars I might add. It's the hipster, healthy, instagenic trend and I just decided to hop right on.

I've made it before, but I guess I just wasn't putting the right stuff in before. Tonight I decided I would give it another go. I mean before they were in regular plain-jane bowls, but this time I put it in a Mason jar and I mean once something is in a Mason jar it must be cool right (haha)?

Refrigerator Oatmeal, Breakfast with Kiwi Banana Strawberries Raspberries and Chia in a Mason Jar
The problem with most health smoothies and 'health foods' these days is that people forget that even if something is healthy, you still can't eat too much of it. I mean eating straight avocado and peanut butter for days on end (mmm) will result in an excess of calories and weight gain even though they're both super foods! With smoothies, we all love to just pile everything right on in right? It's no wonder Booster Juice and other retailers usually end up serving us 600-700 calories in a cup! I don't count each calorie but I mean it's good to have a rough idea of what you're eating right?

So I made sure not to put too much of everything in it this is what I used:

  • 1/3 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup (approximate) of Vanilla Almond Milk
  • 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds 
  • 1/2 of a small banana
  • 1/2 of a kiwi
  • 1 handful of raspberries
  • 3 sliced up strawberries
  • A sprinkle of splenda
And it turned out soo good ( I mean I'm writing this the night before so I haven't actually finished it) but.. well it just looked so good I couldn't help but give it a small taste test 'just in case'. At first when there was only the oats and the milk I realized how little it would make. It filled up my jar maybe 1/3 of the way and I mean, it just looked really sad. Thankful when you finish putting in all the fruits and stuff it evens out and it fills up pretty nicely. Heh, I had to take a photo when everything was so nicely layered but after I swooshed it right up to see how it would look - and also hope that maybe it will help infuse the taste of fruits better throughout the night.

Refrigerator Oatmeal, Breakfast with Kiwi Banana Strawberries Raspberries and Chia in a Mason Jar


Refrigerator Oatmeal, Breakfast with Kiwi Banana Strawberries Raspberries and Chia in a Mason Jar

Refrigerator Oatmeal, Breakfast with Kiwi Banana Strawberries Raspberries and Chia in a Mason Jar

This is after swirling everything around. And it STILL looked fantastic (or maybe it's just me)

... Chia seeds are so cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...